2/15/2005

Secretarial services - Interview with Nancy Gillespie about starting and operating a secretarial service

Can you make money typing from home?

After visiting http://www.startasecretarialbusiness.com and reading the information about the Secretarial Business-In-A-Box, I often get emails and phone calls from people asking me "Is this a legitimate business? Can I really make money typing from home?"

To give people some insight in what's involved in operating a secretarial business and providing word processing services, I've interviewed Nancy Gillespie, owner of A+ Business Services in Vista, California. Nancy has been operating her secretarial service since 1996 in Vista, California.

Leva: Nancy, what's your answer to the question "Is this a real business?"

Nancy: It sure is! But it's really up to the owner of the business. If you project a professional image, you will get the respect you deserve. Otherwise, you'll be perceived as "the girl who types."
I've been in business nine years now and know dozens of other men and women who do the same type of work.

Leva: Have you been able to support yourself with your secretarial business? What kind of money can people expect to make?

Nancy: I am single and have been supporting myself with my secretarial business for some time now. To give you an idea of the kind of money you can make, around the San Diego area where I live, the hourly rate runs from around $15 per hour to $35 per hour, with people I am in contact with in the Vista area charging around $25 per hour. I charge $25 per hour. Monthly income varies. My highest month was over $5,000.

But let me add a caveat. When I first started, I thought, hmm, $25 per hour times eight hours per day times about 20 working days per month -- wow, $4,000 a month! Well, not exactly. I used to wonder why I averaged only five to six billable hours per day -- until I realized that the rest of the time was taken up by general "office stuff" -- phones, filing, checking e-mail. And there's no way that I can think of to eliminate the office stuff -- it's just a fact of life.

At first I felt guilty charging what seemed to be a lot -- until I put it into perspective. The man I paid $20 for 20 minutes work to weed whack my yard was making $60 an hour! And the only equipment he needed was a weed whacker.

Leva: What motivated you to start your own secretarial service?

Nancy: Several things. I think I've always had an entrepreneurial spirit but was afraid to give up the security of a steady paycheck and paid medical, paid vacations, and a retirement fund. But my last job working for someone else was the job from hell. I used to curse the alarm clock every morning.

Finally I said to myself, "Enough of this nonsense!" I took a leap of faith and quit my job, and two weeks later my blood pressure was down 30 points! Best move I ever made. I was immediately happier, and I even looked better. In fact, my neighbor asked me if I had had a facelift. I replied, "No!! My beauty secret is that I quit my job from hell!"

Leva: What do you like about operating a secretarial service?

Nancy: I joke that I have the best boss in the world -- ME!

But seriously, here are just a few things: no alarm clock, no commute, no office politics, no being glared at all day long by the boss from hell.

I can set my own hours, work in my bathing suit, take a coffee break whenever I want, step outside for some fresh air whenever I want, choose not to work with certain clients. In fact, I have "fired" a few clients, and, oh, I can't even describe the feeling of empowerment it gave me!

I love feeling in control of my life. When I worked for others, I received the same paycheck month after month, no matter how hard I worked or how much initiative I used. Raises were based on longevity, not necessarily merit. Now that I own my own business, I feel like my hard work is rewarded.

In addition, I like the variety. My clients have a diverse range of industries and interests --aviation, insurance, medicine, yoga, even a presentation on the eating habits of koala bears -- so the work is never monotonous, and I learn new things in the process.

Leva: What kind of services do you provide?

Nancy: The services I provide include word processing, transcription, editing, resume writing, minutes. Most of my clients still call it "typing" although I hardly ever use a typewriter anymore.

Leva: I don't have a typewriter anymore. Do you?

Nancy: Yes. I bought it second hand and use it to type applications or make minor changes on documents that are not in electronic form.

Leva: What kind of projects do you work on?

Nancy: I write and distribute newsletters, keyboard and edit books. I transcribe seminars, interviews, and presentations. I write and type résumés. I create and maintain databases.

Leva: What software do you use?

Nancy: I use Microsoft Word for word processing and transcription. I have Excel and MS Works for databases. I occasionally use WordPerfect, as well as a program for digital transcription.

Leva: What equipment do you have?

Nancy: Celeron computer, Canon multi-function (printer, copier, scanner) printer, Panasonic transcription machine for micro-cassettes and Sanyo transcription machine for regular cassettes, Canon facsimile machine, IBM Selectric typewriter, and Sony digital camera for taking pictures for newsletters and press releases. To get started in this business, really, all one needs are a computer and printer. You can add equipment as the need arises.

In fact, when I first started, I didn't even have a proper computer desk with keyboard tray. I placed my computer on my roll-top desk and the keyboard on an ironing board because it was adjustable. What a sight that was!

Don't miss part 2 of the interview with Nancy Gillespie, owner of A+ Business Services in Vista, California.


Nancy has operated A+ Secretarial and Business Services In Vista California for 9 years. She the author of "14 Surefire Tips to Get the Job of Your Dreams," a concise book to assist job hunters. For more information about her secretarial services or her book, call 760-945-666, email nancyjg5@cox.net, or visit www.aplusnancy.com.

No comments: