4/03/2005

Secretarial Services - Typing mistakes

I saw the following typing story on a forum.

"I had been trying to transcribe "may well" for a couple of minutes but kept typing "mall." I wondered if there's a reason for our brain/fingers to short circuit like that? I was having a series of these things happening. Usually when I do a letter switch (i.e. seh instead of she, etc.) I know the minute I have done it. I was making a lot of those kinds of errors and didn't know it until I proofed. I was convinced my brain was short circuiting. I went to a neurologist, had an MRI of the brain and EMG. My brain was fine. I finally figured it out--my keyboard was short circuiting, not my brain. It all started when I got a new keyboard. Found out someone else with the same keyboard also had similar problems. I got a new keyboard and everything was fine! I was convinced I was getting dotty!!!!"

I related to this story because something similar happened to me. I didn't get a new keyword. Instead, I spelled coffee on my keyboard. I cleaned up the coffee, dried out the keyboard and thought the keyboard would be fine. But strange things started to happen. The computer typed different letters than the ones I typed in on the keyboard. I replaced the keyboard and the typing problem was gone.

If you have similar experiences, try a new keyboard before going to a neurologist!

No comments: